[yast-devel] web client, errors and user interface
  • From: "Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett" <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 16:36:26 +0200

I have commited Error handling improved for the web client

See http://en.opensuse.org/YaST/Web/Development/Error_Handling
for more information.

New features:
- unhandled ajax errors are displayed in the standard flash messages
facility, using standard jquery.ui styles, and nothing is rendered
- provide helper report_error to put an exception into the flash
message area, mean to be used for handled errors. This allows an ajax
request to report the error but still render something.
- normal handled errors can still be reported using standard Rails flash[]
facility.
- popup to examine backtrace and copy to clipboard facility

As we put the errors in the flash zone, this follows
http://en.opensuse.org/YaST/Web/Docu/Style_Guide#Messages

What needs still to be done:
- We use the standard jquery.ui style, there are some glitches like the flash
messages end to close to the status block. The details popup needs to be
resizable and may be bigger.

- transparent integration with known service errors. Right now we handle
normal catched errors and uncatched ones. However for problems like a
permission problem, there is no need for every action to worry about them, but
it is a too common problem for the general exception trap.

So either needs to be handled in a common place, using the information that
the service will give to the client, or handled also by the common trap, but
having more specific information to show a more specific template and possible
solutions. This could be achieved for example by making ServiceResource to
throw a more concrete error in this case, and then making the rescue action to
handle that (it could also recognize the normal ActiveResource permission
denied exception).

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - Engineering Manager, YaST