Re: [yast-devel] Webyast: REST error response
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 17:01:40 +0200
On 08/27/2009 04:59 PM, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
On Thursday 27 August 2009, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On 08/27/2009 04:14 PM, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
On Thursday 27 August 2009, Josef Reidinger wrote:
For our purpose I think that the best sollution is to
use our own error code which is not used, ( i that one which begin 4**
is good) and in body specify type of error, needed data for generate
report (like which permission mission and for which user) and english
error description. This error description should not use frontend, as it
must match type and print localized error description.

I would suggest to not go with an own error code, but use the existing
ones. This makes it easier for generic HTTP clients. A 400 fits for most
normal errors, and details can be given in the body of the response.

Hi, thanks for comment. I study error code and looks like 400 is not
sufficient as it is Bad Request and mean that client should not repeat
request without modification, so it could case in some case (like locked
package management) problems on proxies and caches as it could filter
same request. But I find that 409 Conflict looks like sufficient as it
expect details in body and proxy should repeat request without problems.

409 is usually used when writing to a resource which has changed inbetween,
so
this doesn't fit to the locked package management case.

As it's a problem on the server, a 500 would be more appropriate in this
case,
maybe a 503.

Thanks it looks good. I use it.

--