Re: [yast-devel] Webyast base system model proposal
  • From: Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:04:15 +0200
* Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx> [Aug 17. 2009 14:35]:
On 08/17/2009 02:25 PM, Klaus Kaempf wrote:
* Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx> [Aug 17. 2009 13:19]:

I do not think that this requires a REST service. Calling configuration
modules in a specific order is pure client side (web ui) functionality
imho.

I think client side is not sufficient as you must somewhere store what
is already configured and what missing.

The respective backend service should be able to report its status. I
fail to see the need for keeping this information in a separate
database (resp. service).

Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious, though ...

Yes it should be possible, but then all modules must provide unified way
how to report, that it is not configured and it is often not stored
anywhere.

Right. This needs to be added to all (affected) services.

Like for timezone from installation some default timezone is choose. So
rest-service must store that timezone is not ever saved.

Not necessarily. If a service has a default configuration, there no
need to reconfigure it.

All the workflow module needs is a 'last successfully visited module'
in the session. From this, it can navigate to the next dialog.

If the session is closed, the setup workflow will be restarted. For
the already configured modules, the user just clicks on 'next'.

Second problem which I see is how to get last done step...It should end
with list of modules which must be check after each login, which should
cause performance problem.

All you need is a "setup workflow finished" flag on the client side.
This is basically a "touch" operation to a specific file after the last config
step.
Ah simple "File.exists?(...)" after each login shouldn't be a
performance problem.

I discuss possible solution tomorrow with rails consultant (we must
submit form and also redirect in one step).

Please capture the discussion and share them with the team.

Klaus
---