Re: [yast-devel] Webyast base system model proposal
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:19:16 +0200
On 08/17/2009 01:02 PM, Klaus Kaempf wrote:
[I guess I replied to this mail in FATE only]

* Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx> [Aug 13. 2009 14:05]:
Hi,
base system model is something like first boot which ensure basic
settings after first login to rest-service of target machine.
First I describe how it should look from user perspective. User login
to target machine and then he see first module from first boot sequency,
after saving settings go to next step until last one is complete and
then show standard control panel.

Yes, thats how I also understand the feature request.

Ideally, the modules to call and their ordering is freely configurable
so vendors can add and remove modules as needed.
It is simple list in text file. (see backend
basicsystem/config/basesystemsteps.conf)

Implementation proposal: Create new rest-service for first boot. This
module store in database last successfully saved module. It also
contains list of modules and its order. So frontend ask only what module
is next one. If next one is control panel, then first boot is complete
passed.

I do not think that this requires a REST service. Calling configuration
modules in a specific order is pure client side (web ui) functionality
imho.

I think client side is not sufficient as you must somewhere store what
is already configured and what missing. What should be changed is place
where is

Frontend is implemented mostly in control panel. It ask backend for
next module in first boot order. If next module is not control panel,
then control panel redirect to that module.

Keeping it all in the frontend should be sufficient. Are there any
specific requirements for using the backend here ?

Backend know what is done and what missing. E.g if you have two machine
with front-end and you already configure basic system settings on one
for target machine M. Then you don't want again configure it on second
machine.

The most complicated think is how recognize, that module settings is
successfully set. My proposal is set to session in control panel, that
modul must set status.

A 'configuration needed' status belongs to the (REST)service, not to
the session. The backend service is the authorative source of this
state information.

I plan use "configuration needed" for wizard purpose, so when
configuration needed is set then via layout (I plan discuss it with our
external consultant) show next/back(?) buttons and after clicking on
next is stored that this part of configuration is done. So this state
say only that we want show navigation thrue basic settings. This
navigation then ensure information for backend that user configure it.
We use it because system is already set to some default and some users
just want confirm settings ( also it helps in complicated modules). It
is same as in first boot when some pages is shown and after next is
shown next page. What should be confusing is that next button doesn't
save settings. User must save it before continue to next page.

--
Josef Reidinger
YaST team