Re: [yast-devel] WebYaST: Network REST Model v1
  • From: Michal Zugec <mzugec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 09:55:26 +0200
Klaus Kaempf wrote / napísal(a):
* Michal Zugec <mzugec@xxxxxxx> [Aug 13. 2009 16:07]:

[shortened to focus on relevant parts]

Basic Config
------------

* /network/devices/ (RO)

Devices and interfaces are the same for now.
How would I be able to distinguish them ?

Device is physical hardware. It can exists without configuration.
Interface is software representation of physical device or virtual
device. Virtual devices are software-created. Without configuration,
they disappears after "rcnetwork restart"

Ok, understood. But it doesn't answer my question. Let me restate it:
If interfaces and devices all show up below /network/devices/, how do
I know which is which ? I'd rather not have to retrieve every instance
and check a property.

Hm, you don't need to know that. Let's say there are only network
interfaces. Two types of interfaces : based on physical devices and
virtual ones. Main difference between them is that first one you can
"just see", second one you need to create (or configure them).
Reason why Martin mentioned that is that for first one RO is enough, but
for virtual devices you need RW access to create them.

* /network/configs/ (RO)

Configs are separated from devices

Can you document the purpose of configs in more detail ?
It's configuration of Layer3 of the ISO/OSI model. Devices defines
Layer2 of the ISO/OSI model.

Ah, ok.

[...]
But a config can get another attribute, "device" that makes it the
default config for a device, and it works like our ifcfg (where
"device" is in the filename)

Don't over-engineer it ! Nothing in the feature request asks for the
separation of device and its config.

For the future, this can be usefull. For wireless devices you can switch
between several APs just by associate different configurations to one
device.

No question about the usefulness. Just focus on the simple parts (one
config per interface) now and extend later.

Hm, but here's conflict of requirements. As I understand from Jiri, we
should define rest-api not only for this simple purpose but also for
future. We need to discuss this ...

[...]
Hmm, I'd assume /network/resolver to represent /etc/resolv.conf, right ?
However, /etc/resolv.conf is autogenerated, so /network/resolver
should be 'RO'.

/etc/resolv.conf doesn't record anything about how it was generated,
i.e. via dhcp or manual setup. Thus 'use-dhcp' is a (RW) config
property, not a resolver property.

No, it represents
/etc/sysconfig/network/config.NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SEARCHLIST

Ok, understood. Then please name it accordingly, 'resolver' is confusing.

CIM property is CIM_DNSGeneralSettingData.DNSSuffixesToAppend, so
DNSGeneralSettingData/DNSSuffixesToAppend ? I will write this in the
next mail.

bridge
------
ifcfg-br0
STARTMODE='auto'
BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
BRIDGE='yes'
BRIDGE_PORTS='eth0 eth1'
BRIDGE_PORTPRIORITIES='50 20'

* /network/devices/1
interface=br0
bridge='yes'
bridge_ports='eth0 eth1'
bridge_portpriorities='50 20'
Hehe, here the object oriented model of CIM shows its value. A
physical and a virtual network device should be based on a common
parent class. Thus documenting the properties of the virtual device
should only show the subclass ('VirtualDevice').
But in this case, there's nothing in common ...

Startmode ? bootproto ? Some property for 'virtual' device ?

No! This properties are for Layer3 - not /devices/ but /configs/

One question remains: Is all this covered by the current YaST 'yapi' ?
No, there's no network-yapi yet

So how are you going to implement the network rest-service then ?

For first iteration we can use CLI backend and then write yapi

Klaus
---

Best Regards,
Michal Zugec