Re: [yast-devel] shutdown restart functionality
  • From: Ladislav Slezak <lslezak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:07:42 +0200
On 12.8.2009 14:20, Martin Schmidkunz wrote:
Just click on "Exit" in the upper right corner and then a pop up appears
which asks the user how he would like to end the session:
* logout: just ends the session and returns to login screen
* restart: restarts the system and prompts a login screen
* shutdown: shuts down the system

I think logout and reboot/shutdown actions should not be offered together. IMO
home
users on a desktop usually do shutdown at the end, reboot or logout just
sometimes
(at least this is my experience). On the other hand in web applications you
usually
use logout, reboot/shutdown is really unusual.

Moreover the remote system may be used by several users at once, it may be
located in
a different country etc., desktop user is usually the only user in the system.

Therefore I would not use the desktop approach and make these actions less
visible,
i.e. they don't need to be accessible at all pages (in the header).

Robert suggested adding buttons to the status part of the control center (to the
right side).

--

Best Regards

Ladislav Slez√°k