[yast-devel] FATE vs. yast-devel for WebYaST
  • From: Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:19:34 +0200
Hi,

as a developer, I spend most of my time on the command line using $EDITOR
or $MAILER with occasional uses of $IRC.

For planning features, I am required to use FATE (a KDE program) and,
quite frankly, hate the context switch.

In an ideal world, tools would offer multiple frontends and let the
user choose between a rich GUI or a CLI. But reality is different.

So I'd like to establish a clearer distinction in our use of FATE vs the
yast-devel mailing list:

- Use FATE (the discussion thread) for comments on the feature scope.
This should cover clarification of the initial description and clear
documentation about whats 'in' and whats 'out'.

- Use the yast-devel mailing list to discuss implementation details
and the approach to fulfill the requirement.

Ideally, this would result is a short discussion within Fate at the
planning state of the feature to clarify the requirements. Everything
else should happen on the mailing list. This ensures openness and
broad review of the implementation approach.

If needed, put links to the yast-devel archive into Fate to capture
the mail thread.

Klaus
---