Re: [yast-devel] WebYaST: how to model reboot/shutdown actions
  • From: Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 15:00:47 +0200
* Ladislav Slezak <lslezak@xxxxxxx> [Aug 06. 2009 13:27]:

Hi all,

I'm workign on fate#306694 ([webyast] Shutdown Module), I checked the CIM
model
how system shutdown/reboot is modeled there - it's defined in
CIM_OperatingSystem
class which also provides information about memory size, free swap etc..

Modeling resources should focus on the 'things' of interest, not by
whom the resource might be consumed in the future.

For the "CIM_OperatingSystem" the resource being modeled is the
(running) operating system. This has attributes (i.e. memory size,
free swap) as well as methods (i.e. shutdown). It makes little sense
(from a modeling perspective!) to separate these aspects.

According to this the reboot/shutdown actions could be part of the status
plugin.

Ask yourself, is 'shutdown' a status ?

The question is should we follow the CIM model? Or should we include it in the
service API?

As we design the resource-based service API, we do in fact modeling of
resources.
Picking up the CIM model is a good approach to use whats already
available 'upstream'.

Klaus

P.S.:
http://www.cisl.ucar.edu/nets/intro/staff/siemsen/nandisc/dmtf/cim-2.5/tutorial/extend/analysis.html
gives a nice insight into how to approach CIM based modeling
---