Re: [yast-devel] RFC: splitting yast2-core package
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:48:44 +0200
On Wednesday 29 July 2009 13:18:52 Ladislav Slezak wrote:
Hi all,

Currently yast2-core package requires also DBus and PolicyKit packages
(because of the DBus service and the DBus agent).

This makes updating or compiling the interpreter more complicated and the
DBus service is always installed (even when not needed) which is bad from
security point of view.

Do we really have situations where a system is usable without DBus? At least
for openSUSE I'm not aware of a working system without DBus - do you?

So my proposal is to split the package into three parts:
- yast2-core - the core interpreter + agents (no DBus or PolicyKit
dependency) - yast2-dbus-client - the DBus agent (requires DBus),
currently needed by yast2-storage only
- yast2-dbus-server - YaST DBus services (require DBus + PolicyKit),
needed by WebYast (so it should not be installed by default)

I have already prepared the new packages in tmp/lslezak SVN branch, RPMs
are in my OBS project (home:lslezak:Factory).

Please review the proposal. If there are no objections I'll submit the
packages to Factory soon...

Andreas
--
Andreas Jaeger, aj@{novell.com,opensuse.org}