[yast-devel] WebYaST system_check
  • From: Stanislav Visnovsky <visnov@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 12:51:12 +0200
Hi!

I'm doing walkthrough the "Installation from source" wiki page and one of the
steps is "Check your system". Comments for this particular piece.

1) It is not clear that you have to change to 'rest-service/webservice'
directory first to run it.

2) seems the task depends on rcov somehow, so if you don't have rcov gem
installed, rake task will not even start

3) the script ends when encounters first problem. I've started with pure JeOS
template, so far I've to run the script 15 times and counting.

4) check requires to have installed all policies for all plugins it knows (the
list seems to be hardcoded). IMO this should not be the case. When you have
just checked out the sources for the first time, you can hardly expect the
policies in place. Furthermore, it is not obvious how to install them.

The policies can be installed via 'make' (!!!0 in rest-service directory, but
this does not work, the paths are obsolete.

5) packagekit is required for development

6) /etc/yast_user_roles
The file seems to be optional, system_check asks for it anyway, but does not
provide any hint where to get it.

7) Why do we test all plugins are working properly?
It's not clear what the test does and why it's doing it. In the end, it has
blown for me like this:

*** Error: plugin SystemtimesController does not work correctly
Please check the logfiles

What is user supposed to do with this?!?

At that point, I gave up, although 'rake db:migrate' helped me to get one step
further, but ending up with the same message in different context.

I'm going to clean up what I can, document the rest in wiki. If anyone can
help me with item 7), it would be great.

Stano