Re: [yast-devel] Yast webclient - template helpers (translations, output formatters)
  • From: jreidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 16:28:37 +0200
Ladislav Slezak wrote:
Hi,

Another thing I noticed is that the webclient plugins do
not use any shared code for generating HTML output or for translations.

I defined some helpers in
web-client/webclient/app/helpers/application_helper.rb
file. These helpers are automatically available in all webclient templates.

There is e.g. 'delete' => _("Delete") helper, and more should be added. The
translators will translate the common texts just once not per plugin package.

Moreover I added 'simple_table' helper for generating overview table
(optionally with
Add/Edit/Delete links), it's already used in samba_server plugin. It's not a
generic
function for creating any table layout, but for major yast overview dialogs
it should
be sufficient.

I wanted to define some namespaces for the helpers, like Label for delete,
but I
failed. Rails could not find the functions in the namespace, any idea why?
(I can send a patch if needed...)

Again, we should share as much code as possible. So if you think that the
code which
you just have written could be used in some other plugin move it to the base
webclient package (and don't forget to document it well).

--

Best Regards

Ladislav Slezák

At first I agree with sharing as much as possible. As I see modules is
developed as plugins. If we move to much thinks to base, it become quite
unintuitive and confusing. I find article about plugin dependencies
http://onrails.org/articles/2006/03/04/managing-rails-plugins-dependencies
. Maybe we could separate thinks to plugin structure and use only things
which is necessary. I think that users need only subgroup of webyast
modules, so we should give him only necessary thinks. This allows
sharing code only during subgroup of modules and get to base only thinks
which is useful for all modules.
Josef