Re: [yast-devel] Yast as a DBus service
  • From: Ladislav Slezak <lslezak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:14:34 +0200
Stefan Schubert wrote:

- Would it be possible to generate the PolicyKit configuration files
automatically while running make ? So the package maintainer would not
have to take care.

Yes, that could be possible. But I would rather prefer some kind of template or
config file provided by developers which would be converted to a PolicyKit
config file.

We need some way to tell users of the service which Yast modules and methods
they can
use via DBus. Simply, what we support.

I think that defining a PolicyKit config should mean that all functions defined
there
are supposed to be used via DBus.

Now you can use any Yast module via DBus, the DBus service can export all public
functions. The problem is that the modules were not designed for multiple
parallel
access, there might be race conditions between clients due to state full API or
the
API might not be suitable for DBus access (too big/complicated data structures)
or the module is internal and should not be used from outside at all...

- The main problem while using SCR:execute in combination with the YaST
command line interface is the speed. Have you already tested how long it
takes to e.g. add a user or get a list of local users ?

No, not yet. But Klaus wrote a testing ruby script - test_SCR_dbus_server.rb
in core/dbus/SCR_service. We could reuse it for benchmarking.

The main problem is that the Yast modules were not designed for DBus/Web usage.
E.g. getting complete user data might take very long time for several thousands
users.

In such case we should redesign the API - return just subset of the users.
The Web UI would just read first 100 users. Next 100 users would be read after
pressing [2] or [Next]. Or there should be [Search] button...

This is another reason for explicitly marking functions as DBus enabled.

--

Best Regards

Ladislav Slez√°k
Yast Developer