[yast-devel] svn:mergeinfo blocking svn merge --reintegrate
  • From: Martin Vidner <mvidner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 15:15:50 +0200
Hi hackers,

[short summary is at the bottom]

Lada and I are merging the DBus feature branch now and got this
puzzling error message from svn merge --reintegrate:
svn: Cannot reintegrate from 'http:...' yet:
Some revisions have been merged under it that have not been merged
into the reintegration target; merge them first, then retry.

It is because the property is supposed to be set only on the branch
root (http://svn.opensuse.org/svn/yast/branches/tmp/lslezak/core)
but it was present also on various files within the tree, with 6
different values, so svn thought that we have a sophisticated
merging set up and required manual intervention.

It turns out that all of the svn:mergeinfo in the subtree were
unnecessary. Svn just creates them whenever you rename a file.
The reasons are so obscure that even this article which helped us
understand the problem does not mention them :-((
http://blogs.open.collab.net/svn/2008/07/subversion-merg.html

Short summary

If you do
svn mv OLD NEW
Then also do
svn propdel svn:mergeinfo NEW # svn pd ...

--
Martin Vidner, YaST developer
http://en.opensuse.org/User:Mvidner