Fwd: Re: [yast-devel] Is there a way to turn off/ reduce output in autoyast?
  • From: "Roberto Angelino" <rangelino@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 10:08:11 -0700
On 1/30/2009 at 6:28 AM, in message <49830E92.7060902@xxxxxxx>, Lukas
Ocilka
<lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Stefan Hundhammer wrote:
The NCurses library is really efficient at that: For every screen operation,

it sends only the difference between the old screen content and the new
screen content to the terminal (plus escape sequences to position the cursor

etc.).

Hi,

Maybe if it comes to "initializing the sources..." - downloading several
files withs lots of Progress screens - then it sends quite of lot of
screen changes per second. Maybe I'm wrong but this is my feeling from
how I understand Roberto's question.

Yes. They are asking if there's a way to limit/reduce/elliminate all that
output.
Let me explain why? Their systems are multi-node systems. So they could be
upgrading anywhere from 8-300 nodes simultaneously. So no one is going
to be looking at these installs. And to make matters worse, some of their
customers only allow say 20/30 minutes to upgrade a node
because their core critical business is dependent on these nodes running
customer product. So anyway to reduce that upgrade time is a plus and oh
BTW, they know that turning off the SOL connection decreases the install
time, but like I said this is a requirement.

-robert

  • No further messages