Re: [zypp-devel] [yast-devel] patch disk usage (was: repodata.c - clarification)
  • From: Katarina Machalkova <kmachalkova@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 15:18:19 +0200
Hi,

So are you going to discard the patch?

I'm not the one who makes the final decision, not at all. I only wanted to
provide some feedback, which is my personal point of view and might not
necessarily correspond to that of y2-qt-pkg maintainer.

Besides zero possibility to re-use the code that calculates 'delta size'
somewhere else (outside qt-pkg), I objected that accesibility and visibility
of this particular bit of information is, using tooltip approach, not optimal
(I wonder how many users will actually discover it is there).

If I had to choose between seeing nice coloured graph of all relevant
partitions and tiny tooltips with disk usage summary, and disk size summary
text ( 'X MB downloaded, Y MB installed, Z MB freed', HTML-formatted). I
would certainly opt for the latter. It is more important for me to know what
will happen now, if I download all the packages I've selected, than to see
how full is my disk -> the graph could be displayed only on request (e.g.
from the menu - curses do it that way) and when the disk space is running
out.

B.
--
\\\\\ Katarina Machalkova