Re: [yast-devel] use ALog::Item
  • From: Michal Svec <msvec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 22:33:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, Martin Vidner wrote:

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 04:57:13PM +0200, Michael Andres wrote:
On Wed, Aug 06, Martin Vidner wrote:
ALog::Item("/etc/ntp.conf: added 'server ntp.example.org'")
ALog::Item("enabled /etd/init.d/ntp")
ALog::Item("started /etd/init.d/ntp")

ALog::CommitPopup()
will lead to ALog::Note("set up ntp from local server")

Isn't this what the loglevel 6 (E_USR) was intended for? An absract of
changes done to the system which is also loged into a separate file.

Yes.

The basic requirement is simple: better logging. Naturally the
design is simple too: a function for the better logging. (I put it
into a namespace to make room for its brother, a commit message from
the admin.) E_USR and analogically y2user(fmt, ...) seems to imply
the constraints shared by the other logging functions: the same log
file, the same format...

I forgot to mention that I assume it will use a different log file
(and additionally use y2log too probably) so that people do not have
to call grep to make sense of it.

Can't we get this information from SCR, without calling explicitely some functions (which is going to be error prone)?

For instance the example above could be generated from SCR (layer), one would (more or less :) only need .path -> file/function translation to create such a log.

Michal