Re: [yast-devel] use ALog::Item
  • From: Michael Andres <ma@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 16:57:13 +0200
On Wed, Aug 06, Martin Vidner wrote:

Dear hackers,

you are all admins of your own workstations, I believe.
Have you ever wondered what YaST did to your system? Or even what
*you* did to your system a week or a month ago?

Please have a look at your y2log now:
sudo less /var/log/YaST2/y2log
The information is (mostly) there, but it is buried in piles and
heaps of debugging information.

So yes, as if you did not have enough features to implement already,
I am asking you for more. But the users will love it.

Please take one (or all) of your modules and put in log messages
using the API below. Presumably they are already there, using
y2milestone.

ALog stands for Admin's log, to remind you who the reader is.

ALog::Item("/etc/ntp.conf: added 'server ntp.example.org'")
ALog::Item("enabled /etd/init.d/ntp")
ALog::Item("started /etd/init.d/ntp")

ALog::CommitPopup()
will lead to ALog::Note("set up ntp from local server")

Isn't this what the loglevel 6 (E_USR) was intended for? An absract of
changes done to the system which is also loged into a separate file.

--

cu,
Michael Andres

Key fingerprint = 2DFA 5D73 18B1 E7EF A862 27AC 3FB8 9E3A 27C6 B0E4