Re: [yast-devel] YaST Workshop 2008
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:29:24 +0200
Stefan Hundhammer wrote:
but also about the documentation in general.

Well, yes. But I don't see a problem in the form in which the documentation is available (web page, Wiki or PDF - who really cares?), but in the stuff that _is_ documented. The last time I was seriously searching some documtation I found that ~70% of all documentation is the UI documentation that I once wrote, while other aspects are still largely undocumented (YCP built-ins or SCR comes to mind).

But is that something we can fix in a couple of days worth of workshop?

What about just starting it? If you don't have a better project, pick this one :) At least, developers should know that and how they should document their code, their API.

@see Source Code Documentation HowTo http://forgeftp.novell.com/yast/doc/SL11.0/tdg/Book-Documentation.html

Moreover, I saw a lot of "Hey, the current documentation is boring, I have a brand-new idea how to make it much better with a little effort"s ... but what was the result? ENOTIME? Documentation? Who cares?
I also saw some requirements from external developers to download a PDF version of our documentation in the past so they actually really care.
I could search yast-devel or some internal mailing-list where I are asked developers to document their code and how (for instance SCR docu), but that will not be necessary, I guess.

Documentation is vitally important if we want to port YaST to other distributions (*HINT!*).

L.

< Previous Next >