Re: [yast-devel] extra-packages
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:23:30 +0100
Am Freitag 21 März 2008 schrieb Michal Svec:

Does this actually matter? What would happen if we have Suggests to
a package which is not available?

I mean to have Suggests:milo in bootloader despite it's noarch could
possibly have no harm on architectures which do not have that package
(in a theoretical situation we actually use Suggests for anything).

It's great that everyone tries to solve so many problems, but can we
please remember for a short moment the problem that extra-packages tries
to solve?

The goal is to have a way to check if all packages possibly dragged in
by yast2-bootloader _on that arch_ on the medium _of that arch_. So yes,
you can suggest everything and we would not be able to do any kind of
medium afterwards.

So the goals:
1. (mandatory) we need a list of requirements somewhere that media
can be checked against
2. (desirable) it should be easy for yast maintainers to ignore it.

Making packages arch-specific for the sake of moving the information
into the spec file makes this basically a killer.

If you think extra-packages as file "somewhere" is to be ignored, then
please add the information in yast/trunk/bootloader/EXTRA_DEPS or something.

Suggests are pointless and hard to parse and you never know if the
suggests is a real one or one of the "represents weak yast deps" kind.

Greetings, Stephan