Re: [yast-devel] Package-Bindings
  • From: Michael Andres <ma@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:57:06 +0100
On Wed, Mar 19, Katarina Machalkova wrote:

It is only the means how the user tells the solver 'Hey there, I want you to
update this package for me'. But at the end, it is the solver and its
policies, who is the highest authority there. The one, who performs
dependency check and who might refuse to respect user's decision and not to
update particular pack, even if user wanted it to.

I would not put it that way. The solver does not refuse to respect user's
decision.

You can't ask someone to make a decision and then complain that it's not
what you had decided. ;)

In contrary, the solver policies define what the solver is alowed to
decide automatically. And the slover respects this. If you ask the solver
to update a package, the solver stops at it's boundaries. If he did not
choose the package you would have chosen then because it is not
installable due to dependency problems or the policies do not allow to
select it.

If the result does not match the expectation then one could think about
changing the policies. E.g. allow automatic arch/vendor change.

And finally you are always able to explicitly select the package you
think is right.

Challenging for the UI to explain all this to the user.

--

cu,
Michael Andres

Key fingerprint = 2DFA 5D73 18B1 E7EF A862 27AC 3FB8 9E3A 27C6 B0E4