Re: [yast-devel] Package-Bindings
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:32:52 +0100
On 3/19/2008 at 17:26, Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
* Stefan Hundhammer <sh@xxxxxxx> [Mar 19. 2008 16:11]:

The selection of packagages eligible for update is a (sat-)solver
function, taking solver policies and conflict resolution into account.

Sure. But that's the system update. That's different.

I am talking about 'install available updates to the packages I have
installed'. Blindly grabbing (or schowing) all newer versions has a high
probability of failure. Just think of kernel vs. driver. A kernel update
might break an installed driver and a newer driver might not match my
kernel.

The sat-solver algorithm ensures that such conflicts are properly
resolved.

The way yast and also zypper up -t package) work in this case are imho the way
I as a user would expect it:
I select: update those packages (I can select between the ones in list or all)
and it then performs a dependency check.
Additional requires are automatically included and in case something else
happens, like a driver rpm not being compatible to my new kernel, I get a
dependency conflict.

This is exactly what I as a user expect to happen. of course Yast, having a
nice interface, offers me more details solutions than I could possibly wish for
in zypper.

Dominique