Re: [yast-devel] Package-Bindings
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:17:53 +0100
Katarina Machalkova napsal(a):
Be aware that 'newer edition available' is *not* the correct criterium
for update in the future.
The selection of packagages eligible for update is a (sat-)solver
function, taking solver policies and conflict resolution into account.

But what would you, as the user (not sat-solver developer) expect, if you saw
an option saying 'Update all packages in this list, if newer version is
available' ?
Wouldn't you want exactly that - mark packages for which a newer version
appeared on configured repositories in the meantime, as the candidates for
update?

Of course, solver might not respect your decision ("Hey, I won't update this
package for you"), just as it not always respects your decision if you mark
package for update manually.

Honestly, our users wanted such feature from our package management
tools. The way they do it is exactly the way our users want it.

After that, solver is called to check whether these
'update-to-newest-version' is proceeded. If solver doesn't find a
solution for some packages, it reports such issues to user. That's correct.

Moreover, this doesn't belong only to libzypp as user might just want to
update only 'currently listed' packages (I want to upgrade only *yast2*
packages if newer are available, plus their dependencies, of course).

L.

< Previous Next >