Re: [yast-devel] extra-packages
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:28:18 +0100
Stephan Kulow napsal(a):
Am Mittwoch 19 März 2008 schrieb Lukas Ocilka:
Of course, if you don't care that BuildRequires will contain 'ALL'
packages listed in Requires, we would just simply change the 'make
package' command to add everything from 'Requires' to 'BuildRequires'.
It would be 'Fast but Furious (II.)' ;)

I don't follow. You can BuildRequire autofs4 and you will get notice
when it's dropped. Is this what you're saying?

The Requires of yast2-printer should stay untouched.

OK, sorry, I'll write it for human beings (sometimes I forget I'm a YaST
developer ;))

* YaST packages define 'BuildRequires' and 'Requires' when creating the
RPM.
* 'BuildRequires' often contain only those packages that are really
needed for the package to get build, on the other hand, 'Requires'
contain packages that are needed for the particular YaST package to
run properly.
* We often don't define packages needed only for run in the
'BuildRequires' because we thought the faster we build a package, the
best for us.

I'm offering you to take all 'Requires' and merge them with
'BuildRequires' when we use our special 'make package' command that
creates the real spec file, tar.bz2 file etc. What would be the ouptut?

* Slower build (more packages in BuildRequires than now)
* More reliable RPM 'Requires' because we'll find out that they are
wrong already in the build time. Actually build won't pass at all with
wrong 'Requires' in such case.

Hmm, reading this mail from top to bottom doesn't make the feeling
better, yes, I'm still a YaST developer :)

L.

< Previous Next >