Re: [yast-devel] Starting repo management from the pkg manager
  • From: Stefan Hundhammer <sh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 13:18:47 +0100
On Friday 14 March 2008 11:16, Ladislav Slezak wrote:
Many users complain why there are two separate modules for managing
repositories and packages. They want to add/refresh/enable/disable/...
repositories from the package manager widget.

The request is valid and makes a lot of sense. We wanted this for a long time.

Adding the repository management functions to all package manager widgets
requires a lot of work in each UI frontend. I created a small patch which
can start the repository manager module directly from the package manager,
almost all the changes are on the YCP level.

Looks like I thought too complicated how to do this for a long time. I thought
we'd have to reimplement all the functionality of the repo management on the
C++ level. You found an unconventional approach that makes this a lot
simpler. There will also not be any problems with outdated package selector
internal data etc. because it simply gets restarted and thus freshly
initialized.

Nice work!

(This feature can be made more visible if needed, e.g. add a button into
the "Repository" filter or something like that...)

What do you think about this solution? Is it a good thing for 11.0?

I think it's great. I vote for immediately checking this in.

CU
--
Stefan Hundhammer <sh@xxxxxxx> Penguin by conviction.
YaST2 Development