Re: [yast-devel] Getting Rid of 2nd Stage Installation
  • From: Jiri Srain <jsrain@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:32:13 +0100
Hi!

Dne Monday 10 of March 2008 12:07:35 Stefan Hundhammer napsal(a):
There are two sides to this.

On one hand, getting rid of that second stage of installation makes the
installation appear (!) shorter. And yes, of course we should set up
automatically everything we can, but I have strong doubts if it's a good
idea to not let the user change those settings - this is what the proposals
are all about (figure out a good automatic setting, but let the user change
it if he wishes).

On the other hand, most of the things that can be configured in that second
stage make sense to be configured at that point. What that second stage
does is remind the user of all that stuff that makes sense to be
configured.

I don't remember when I last configured anything during 2nd stage (well, I'm
probably not typical user, anyway). I always just run through the workflow,
clicking only the Next button.

I've seen several reports of unexperienced users, who were confused by some of
the dialogs. Configuring everything automatically helps here. Most of the
users can run with the defaults, the others can configure missing parts after
the installation.

That's a whole lot simpler than going through the control center (which is
increasingly cluttered with entries of minor importance).

So if we remove that second stage, we might make some journalists happy who
write reviews about the installation process and some very few power users
who know by heart what's left to configure.

But what about the rest of all users, which I estimate to be ~90%?
Do we really make life easier for them if we leave much of the system
unconfigured? Will they be happy about not being able to print when they
need to just because it never occured to them to configure a printer?

Not "unconfigured", but "configured to default values" which should work for
most of them.

Jiri

--
Regards,

Jiri Srain
YaST Team Leader
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o. e-mail: jsrain@xxxxxxx
Lihovarska 1060/12 tel: +420 284 028 959
190 00 Praha 9 fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic http://www.suse.cz