[yast-devel] New ncurses package selector
  • From: Katarina Machalkova <kmachalkova@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 18:04:29 +0100
Hi yast hackers

let me share some preliminary results of my hackweek project with you. I've
decided to improve the layout of ncurses package selector in order to give it
a better structure and make it more user friendly.

Some featured changes:
* New menus.
Though I did no extensive card-sorting study, I tried to group menu items
together according to their common functionality. For example, all dependency
related actions (check deps now, verify system etc.) are now in submenu of
its own: http://users.suse.cz/~kmachalkova/pkger-deps.png

* More visible filters
Package filters (patterns, RPM groups, langs, repositories, searching) are
no longer hidden in a popup menu, but have a panel of its own:
http://users.suse.cz/~kmachalkova/pkger-main.png The upper left pane is the
filter itself, the lower left one is its description (well, not yet, "Some
text here" is a placeholder)

* Reorganized package table
The order of columns in pkg table has changed, so the most important
entries (status, pkg name and its summary) are visible at all times, while
those that users do not need to see so often (version, pkg size) shifted to
the right and user can scroll the table to see them.
In the future (thanks, Lukas for the idea) I'd like to make this
configurable and let user choose which table columns (s)he wants to see.

* Wizard-like bottom line
With left-most help http://users.suse.cz/~kmachalkova/pkger-help.png and
Cancel/OK aligned to the right.

I'm developing the stuff in my /tmp/bubli/ncurses-pkg svn branch, but don't
try it at home ;-) because it's pretty dumb and does in fact nothing so far.
It only looks 'nice' (or at least, hopefully) better than before.
The original NCPackageSelector super-class has ~4000 lines of code, so I'm
trying to break it into little pieces (subclasses) and moving the things
around esp. event handling is quite a big deal
I just wanted to give you the idea, how it looks like and I'm open to your
comments and suggestions.

frozenB.
--
\\\\\ Katarina Machalkova