Re: [yast-devel] Why YAST is too VAST
  • From: "Benji Weber" <b.weber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 07:51:21 +0000
On 13/02/2008, Duncan Mac-Vicar P. <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I completely agree,

But I don't think mixing kcontrol with YaST is the way to go. You can't
say YaST is a monster and suggest to make it even more confusing.

YaST is right now complex because a desktop user does not care about
having the cluster setup together (or at the same level of importance /
visibility) with setting up a printer or adding a software repository,
and that is what we have to fix.

It is important to organise the modules well, In my opinion, though
,the fact that:

- It is implemented with YaST platform
- It requires administrator privileges

Should not dictate where the user finds some particular configuration
options within the desktop, as neither are things that are immediately
obvious. At the moment if the user wants to change the time he or she
has to either realise that it is a YaST module, or that it requires
root privileges and so decide to look in YaST control centre to find
the option. With something like kiwi it's less obvious that either
condition applies.

Just because some things require higher privileges should not dictate
the users' workflow. Authorisation can be obtained when required,
preferably as late as possible.

I suspect the only way to actually find where the best place to expose
settings is is to sit some people without even knowledge of the
existence of YaST down at a blank desktop with some configuration
tasks, and see where they try and locate them.

--
Benjamin Weber