Re: [yast-devel] redesign of printer module redesign
  • From: Klaus Kaempf <kkaempf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:27:43 +0100
* Martin Schmidkunz <mschmidkunz@xxxxxxx> [Feb 07. 2008 16:52]:

- I wonder about the menu on the left side. IIRC this was already
discussed (and dismissed !) some time ago and a tab-style approach
preferred.
Other functions can be placed in an application menu bar placed
horizontally at the top of the window.

I tried the application bar approach first and to be honest: it looked
so bad, that I didn't even dare to send it around :-(

I'm mostly concerned about consistency across YaST modules. If the
printer module now starts with left-side trees for navigation, how
does it look for other modules ?
IIRC, we had this discussion about 2 or 3 years ago and dismissed the
left-side tree approach.
Please check back with other members from the usability team.

- The "Status" column in unclear. Which information does it show ?

It shows the status of the print queue:
check mark means: accepting print jobs and printing enabled
x means: either one of the two conditions or both are not in place.
Text was also the first idea we had, but it was too long and it required
horizontal scrolling which is really, really nasty.
So we decided to use icons.

Icons are fine, but its not clear to me what a 'big red X' means.
Lets look at other icons to make the state clearer.

Klaus
---