Re: [yast-devel] Re: [opensuse-ux] redesign of printer module redesign
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 16:23:50 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Feb 8 16:11 Martin Schmidkunz wrote (shortened):

http://en.opensuse.org/Image:Printer_mschmidkunz_rc2_overview_autoconfig.png
Automatic configuration - some words are here : FaTE #120084

Thanks for the information!
Currently only values from etc/cups-autonconfig are shown.
But maybe we can add something like:
"[ ] Do not Configure PostScript Capable Printers Automatically"

What do you think?

Of course this is only possible if cups-autonconfig supports it.

http://en.opensuse.org/Image:Printer_mschmidkunz_rc2_addlocalqueue.png
I don't like "Print Test Page" checkbox idea.This can be done manually
in overview with "Test Page" button.

OK, removed.
The idea was that some users might like to print out something directly
after adding a new queue, but I think that it is sufficient to provide
this via the button in the overview.

The crucial point why it must be removed is:

When a wrong driver was selected (or automatically assigned),
the printer may spit out zillions of sheets with meanigless
characters.

When the "Print Test Page" checkbox is enabled by default,
the user may not notice it and become angry when his printer
suddenly spits out sheet after sheet.

Therefore to be on the safe side, the checkbox would have to be
disabled by default but then it would be useless because
it is same "effort" to do it in overview with "Test Page" button.

Therefore I agree that the "Print Test Page" checkbox is bad.

http://files.opensuse.org/opensuse/en/3/38/Printer_mschmidkunz_rc2_modify_sharing.png
[] Exclude From Publishing ...
Show also current global value

It seems that this global value for publishing is quite a complex matter.
Johannes said, that he need to think this through for himself.

Currently I don't know what happens if "DefaultShared no"
in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf but "Shared yes" in /etc/cups/printers.conf.
What a terrible wording: "Shared" actually means "Published" here.

I would like to show to the user if a particular queue is actually
published or not but currently I am confused what which settings
in the CUPS config files actually results.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex