Re: [opensuse-ux] Re: [yast-devel] redesign of printer module redesign
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 10:33:05 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Feb 7 10:01 Martin Schmidkunz wrote (shortened):

There is one entry missing:
"filters: makeshift drivers for some awkward printers"

Mhm. Awkward printers... I think we should use:
"filters: makeshift drivers for printers from HP, Lexmark, Canon,
Citizen, and Apple" :-)
(Source: package description of "filters")

Perhaps "makeshift driver" is sufficient information
so that it is clear for the user that those stuff is only
a makeshift for a few crappy printers.

"filters" is not a general driver package for printers
from HP, Lexmark, Canon, Citizen, and Apple.

In particular for HP printers the general driver package is "hplip".

Furthermore the above "for a few crappy printers" does not mean
that most printers out there are well suppported by free software.
It means that a makeshift is only available for a few of those
many crappy printer models out there. Most crappy printers
are simply not supported at all by free software.

I.e. aviod plain wrong user expectations and avoid user complaints
and/or bugzilla reports like:
"I have installed all your drivers for printers from HP, Lexmark,
Canon, Citizen, and Apple, but my Lexmark inkjet doesn't work!
FIX YOUR DRIVER IMMEDIATELY - I NEED MY PRINTER WORK NOW!!!"

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex