Re: [yast-devel] Transactional upgrades using the filesystem
  • From: Olaf Dabrunz <Olaf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 20:25:31 +0100
On 04-Feb-08, Arvin Schnell wrote:
On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 05:36:11PM +0100, Olaf Dabrunz wrote:

So, to be able to support this, we would require a snapshot
functionality of the "system partition", which means LVM for the system
partition ATM (ZFS support could be added later, if needed). Should we
use LVM for this partition by default?

But /boot cannot reside on LVM and a rollback from a kernel
update is likely a very much desired feature.

Yes.

No volume manager or file system offering snapshots (LVM, ZFS, ...) is
(currently) supported by bootloaders. I do not know of any plans to
support ZFS in a bootloader. Maintenance of bootloader code will be
somewhat more work. LVM is a more generic choice here as well.

Of course, we could fall back to using blocklists in the bootloader. But
then this adds an undesirable point of failure, as these blocklists have
to be kept up to date (whenever files necessary for booting are touched,
by YaST, any other tool or the user). This was one important reason for
moving to GRUB on x86.

Maybe we can offer an interim solution where files in /boot are put into
a snapshot (tar-)archive by YaST. When and if bootloaders support LVM,
we could start using it in /boot as well.

--
Olaf Dabrunz (Olaf <at> dabrunz.com)