Re: [yast-devel] printer module redesign
  • From: Michal Svec <msvec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 16:04:19 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Martin Schmidkunz wrote:

If we want to support print-servers with lots of connected printers then a
more reasonable solution could be one list, but with optional filters for
local/remote/any/whatever (which would be even more flexible for admins).

Yes, we also thought about that.
The point why we dropped it:
* as you can't add/edit/delete a remote queue there would be different
buttons needed for each queue type. This might potentially confuse the user

I'm confused, why I'm not able to delete a remote queue? Meaning, I must
have added it before, right?

* if you want to add a new queue you therefore would have click on a
local queue to get an add button. This seemed quite unlogical to me.

Well, the current solution might be OK, having Add/Configure/Delete where
Add would popup a list with possibilities.

Moreover, as I have few local printers and few remote I'd still like to
see them all at one place, to have a nice overview.

Yes, I agree with you. The point is, that we don't know whether the user
has only a few printer or whether he uses the module in a SLES environment.

I might be insane but I'd like to have a possibility to see everything at
once :-) Filters might help here ("limit view to only" Local etc), but
it's just an idea, let's see what others think.

And in addition, I
could then reasonably select the Default printer, which I'm not sure is
easily doable in multi-list/tab design :)

:-)
Is it technically possible to select a remote queue as "default printer"?

I believe yes.

Thanks,
Michal