[yast-devel] Transactional upgrades using the filesystem
  • From: "Duncan Mac-Vicar P." <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 21:44:17 +0100

We have some features open for rollbacks on upgrades. Give a look at this:

"There is no ideal software, it always has bugs. Minor, major or
security issues will always exist and modern operating systems need to
deal with this fact. What if any software which user installs had a
capability to rollback to previously known successful point and
operation itself would take no time? What if developer or user has a
tool which could checkpoint operating system and capability to revert
changes in no time? This is possible if we will marry two great
technologies: ZFS and Debian APT
<http://www.nexenta.org/os/TransactionalZFSUpgrades>. Both technologies
now part of Nexenta Operating System which is core foundation for its
derivative distributions. Meet apt-clone
<http://www.nexenta.org/os/AptCloneMan>. The tool which integrates with
the NexentaCP system, keeps track of upgrade checkpoints and allows to
create/destroy/edit checkpoints by request."

http://osnews.com/story/19180/Transactional_Debian_Upgrades_with_ZFS_on_Nexenta