Re: [yast-devel] netcat required by yast-core
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 16:38:26 +0100 (MET)

just briefly, why does yast-core require netcat?

Hi Roman,

Because it is needed by an agent
(/usr/lib/YaST2/servers_non_y2/ag_hostnames) that scans the local
network for a particular open port.

From time to time people ask about it and want it removed so we
point out /dev/tcp which is built in bash... maybe I should replace
the netcat usage with that?

That was what I was going to suggest; For as long as you don't need to
listen to a socket (and have bash), you don't need netcat.

I don't think that removing netcat improves security, but others do. The
question came from that corner.

Martin, will you do the substitution of netcat by bash? (keep in mind to
call/use bash explicitly)

Thanks,
Roman.