Re: [yast-devel] yast2-ncurses has a status line :)
  • From: Stefan Hundhammer <sh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 12:23:28 +0100
On Wednesday 19 December 2007 10:41, Bernhard Walle wrote:
But *after* installation, ncurses is only used by people who know what
they do.

Uh - yes, is that so?

How exactly do you define "people who know what they are doing"?
Do you really think we have any user who is an expert in all aspects?

This is yet another very old discussion. Every once in a while some people
suggest we make an "expert mode" the user can select initially, so he can
choose "expert" or "novice" and then get a lot of expert options for
everything or just simple questions.

The argument against that has always been that while somebody may be an expert
in some aspects, this does not mean that he knows everything about every
aspect. A network expert might be completely lost with, say, X configuration
or with package dependencies. This is why we always begin simple, but
whereever useful we have an "Expert" button or an "Expert" tab. So users can
gradually refine the amount of expert options they want to deal with. Add to
this the fact that sometimes even experts want a quick and simple setup for
certain things.

This is very similar to ncurses usage. Those users who know that an ncurses
mode exists and how to start it may be experts in some areas, but that does
not know that they can do completely without help in some other areas.

DAUs use Qt or Gtk.

This (and the reverse conclusion even more) is nonsense.

CU
--
Stefan Hundhammer <sh@xxxxxxx> Penguin by conviction.
YaST2 Development