Re: [yast-devel] TimezoneSelector widget
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:09:38 +0100
Am Montag 17 Dezember 2007 schrieb Benji Weber:
On 17/12/2007, Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi!

I spent some time implementing a very rough first version of
a graphical timezone selector widget and commited it into
branches/tmp/coolo/zone.

Nice.

Slightly off-topic but could you check that it's easy to select cities
in Europe with it? The Kubuntu implementation of this makes it
difficult to select where you live if you don't live in the US. It
requires a lot of dexterity with the mouse to select a specific city
in more densely populated areas. The ubuntu version is better though
as it has more seamless zooming.

The ubuntu version is "stolen" from ximian and not reimplemented for kubuntu -
for whatever reason. And I took ubuntu's idea, even though I could not use
much of the code.

For my experiments I used http://radcyberzine.com/xglobe/caida_1280.jpg (which
is copyright free) and for someone like me it's hard to know to differ Prague
and Berlin on first view - fortunately enough it does not matter as long as
they have the same timezone :)

Also what about using a geo-ip service to find out where a user is
likely to be if connected to the internet and pre-zooming the map?
download.opensuse.org already knows this. I guess this might mean
exposing zoom level / area through YCP interface somehow.

I don't want to have internet during installation and I don't want to spend
much time on implementing something I won't use for installation.

Greetings, Stephan