Re: [yast-devel] New YCP module: Icon
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 14:20:31 +0100
Stephan Kulow napsal(a):
Am Dienstag 04 Dezember 2007 schrieb Ricardo Cruz:
I would rather you guys let the UI-bridge provide the icons as we are
in a better position to honor user's settings. Besides, we might want
yast-ncurses to do a colored frames, or do some vertical Warning label
or something...

So, why not adding some `warn, `error, `info to UI::OpenDialog()? It
would also make it nicer for YCP writers.
Btw, checkout `warnColor and `errorColor on yast-gtk. It will use your
style icon there.

Sounds right to me. The problem is always that a ycp solution is easy to do
for a single developer, while UI provides usually require 3-4 developers to
come up with a solution ;(

But I'm fine with the current solution too.

I've found that it's easier for developers to use Icon::$whatever
because it's better understandable for them and thus better-controllable.

Of course, Dialog (`opt (`warn)) can be more easily redefined by the UI
(ncurses don't support images but could solve it somehow else). I'd vote
for having such support in UI.

Anyway, Icon YCP module is for a general use, it's not only for
warnings, errors and infos it's been intended for a more general use,
warnings (etc.) are just extensions. See these examples how Icon::
module can be used:

==Installation Mode dialog==
http://en.opensuse.org/Image:YaST-Installation-Mode-Dialog.png

==Progress with Icons==
http://en.opensuse.org/Image:YaST-ProgressWithIcons-Example-InProgress.png

and many more...

Using images should help user to understand faster the meaning of
presented information or options.

Bye
Lukas