Re: [yast-devel] Input field width in the mod-ui
  • From: Martin Vidner <mvidner@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 14:07:48 +0100
On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 01:00:18PM +0100, Stefan Hundhammer wrote:
On Tuesday 04 December 2007 12:44, Martin Vidner wrote:
How about preserving the old behavior for TextEntry and changing it
for InputField?

Ugh... implicit magic that happens when people least expect it... application
programmers getting surprised when they forget this little exception (which
will be about in 2-3 weeks)... that doesn't sound very good to me.

The old behavior may be a bug but people learned to live with it and
we have uncountable dialogs relying on the bug. At this point, it is
no longer a "bugfix" but "gratuitous incompatibility". Because you
only gain broken dialogs.

In such situations, if we want new behavior, we need a new name.
InputField is obvious, since you already introduced it.

How to document it;
http://forgeftp.novell.com/yast/doc/SL10.3/tdg/TextEntry_widget.html
section Description:
"The difference between TextEntry and InputField is that TextEntry
has `opt (`hstretch) built in. (Before we had InputField, dialogs
often had to compensate that with HSquash.)"
--
Martin Vidner, YaST developer
http://en.opensuse.org/User:Mvidner