[yast-devel] Re: [opensuse-factory] Accessible installer
  • From: Hans Petter Jansson <hpj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 18:16:11 -0600
On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 09:21 +0100, Stanislav Visnovsky wrote:
Dňa Wednesday 28 November 2007 04:23:55 Hans Petter Jansson ste
napísal:

* What accessibility technologies are available in the installer today,
and how are they configured?

AFAIK, we have support for visually impaired people:
- linuxrc can be run in linemode to allow screen readers
- yast2 ncurses interface has high contrast color scheme available
- there is support for braille peripherials

Is this easily available in the installer, though?

* If we're missing accessibility functionality, how feasible would it be
to implement it for 11.0?

Depends on the technology. One constraint I see right away is the size of of
inst-sys, we would need to do some magic there to keep it reasonably sized.

First, we would need to know exactly what we want to support. The 3 points
above?

I think the screen reader would be the most useful component, since that
seems to be what people who can't see at all use. I'm told such users
currently need human assistance in order to install openSUSE.

Braille would primarily be for people who are completely blind and deaf.

The magnifier would be a nice bonus, but I don't think it's strictly
required if we have the screen reader.

Unfortunately, festival is pretty huge. Maybe espeak is smaller, or
maybe we can pare it down somehow.

--
Hans Petter