Re: [yast-devel] Re: [opensuse-factory] Accessible installer
  • From: Bryen <suseROCKS@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:35:25 -0600

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 21:48 +0100, Marco Michna wrote:
Dobrý večer,

Bryen wrote (shortened):

- One person identified needing sound output, and thus required someone
else to install openSuse before he could use it. He is in this business
professionally.

IMHO there is the possibility to use a hardware synthesizer during the
installation - but I'm not sure which devices are supported and how good this
is supported.

- In the opensuse general mailing list, there was a newcomer who stated
he used a braille terminal and was having difficulty installing
openSuse. He disappeared after that one night, so I don't know whether
he was successful or not. My guess is, since we haven't heard from him,
probably not. Unfortunately, I don't know braille nor do I own a
braille terminal, so it isn't something I can test out for
functionality.

The braille display is supported since SuSE Linux 7.0 and there also is a
nice
community if you have problems. Maybe the user which you talk about didn't
come back to the general list because he found the english blinux
mailinglist. If thats the case then we need to do some advertising.

Here you can find the archive of the english blinux mailinglist:

http://lists4.opensuse.org/blinux/

Very interesting. Thanks for pointing me out to this. I'm trying to
read up on blinux now and what exactly it is/means. But it looks like
that mailing list has been very quiet for some time. Although, I'm not
certain I agree with a separate mailing list for blind users. Nor
should it be for very specific types of users. For example, I am both
blind AND deaf. But many of the tools that I use to make it easier are
also tools that you may use in everyday life. There are too many
variations of impairment to allow for such specific silos of mailing
lists. The general support mailing list is a more accurate place and
that's where I keep my eye out for such people looking for assistance
that I can offer.

Enlighten me if you know anything more about blinux. Is it a collection
of tools or a separate installation CD? If it is a separate os
installation, is it usable by both people with disabilities and people
without disabilities?

In fact, AFAICT, building these features into the installer would
probably make Yast the most accessible installer the world has ever
seen.

It is already :) No ... I'm not biased :)

I wouldn't consider you biased. And if you feel that it is a highly
accessible installer, then we need to work on documenting it so more
people are aware. I'm not interested in re-inventing the wheel if such
comprehensive and easily-used tools are already in existence and
integrated. If there is any documentation in existence that you may
already be aware of, please point me to it so I can review it and test
things out.

Thanks for your feedback.

And I appreciate the information you have given me. Thank you very
much!

Greetings,
Marco
--