Re: [yast-devel] YaST2 and Disk order
  • From: Thomas Fehr <fehr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:40:58 +0100
On Sat, Nov 17, Günther J. Niederwimmer wrote:

Hello,

Know you that YaST2 change the Order of disk's anytime ?

The Problem that I found, is with three disks and 17 Partitions on my Test
System ?

YaST2 have on install time, a different order for the Disks then in installed
time ?

Oder of disks is determined by module loading order.
YaST2 has nothing to do with loading modules.
During installation, modules are loeaded by linuxrc.
While booting a normal system, modules are loaded by initrd.

One Problem

YaST2 find on install time the swap partition on disk /dev/sdcX, after
installing the swap partition is on /dev/sdbX, also when I config "/home"
on /dev/sdcX later it is on /dev/sdbX :(.

The grub menu.lst is also broken after installation :(

Sure, if linuxrc and initrd do not use the same order when loading modules,
resulting installation is broken. Probably others will give you the hint to
use udev generated names (eg. /dev/disk/by-id/....) which would work around
this bug.

A other Problem is, why find YaST2 a different Order of disk's (?), as ubuntu
or fedora ?

When i make a test installation with "ubuntu" or "fedora", i have the same
disk order in both installation ?

Seems that Ubuntu or Fedora use a different load order that SuSE.

With SUSE I have a different disk order, and nothing is booting "normal" :(

Tschuess,
Thomas Fehr
--
Thomas Fehr, SuSE Linux Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nuernberg, Germany
GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)