Re: [yast-devel] ITO project proposal #1: Web user interface
  • From: Jordi Massaguer i Pla <jordi.massaguer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 16:49:52 +0100
I am not sure what is a "ITO time proposal". However, if you need
testers for the YaST Web UI I'll be very happy to do it. Just send an
email to the list when you have a beta version and the instructions on
how to install it.

yours,

jordi

PD: Please, when you send the message, use the "web interface" words on
your subject so I do not miss it.

El dt 06 de 11 del 2007 a les 12:26 +0100, en/na Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett
va escriure:
ITO time proposal
YaST Web UI, Approach: Wt

Why:
- there is already a prototype from Stano
- nobody has come wth a better approach?
- It is C++
- It is similar to Qt
- It offers AJAX
- widget-centric (avoid the web indiscipline and mess)
- integration with (existing) C++ libraries
- Provides plain widgets, which work regardless of JavaScript availability
(but benefit from JavaScript availability), and Wt::Ext widgets (based on
http://extjs.com)
- built in web server
- no need to rewrite yast modules, only to "rework" them

http://www.webtoolkit.eu/ (package available on home:dmacvicar in OBS)

Current problems:
- semantic: when is yast running? daemon? listening? only one session? how
many users?
- threading problems
- completness (implement widgets)

Goal:
- solve the semantic issues
- to be able to login and use very basic functionality of any module

Time: proposal 4 days (too much too less?)
When to start? Proposal Nov 12
Who takes care of the pizza?
--

Jordi Massaguer i Pla