[yast-devel] openSUSE 11.0 - Splitting YaST packages - Call for help
  • From: Lukas Ocilka <lukas.ocilka@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 11:21:04 +0100
Hi YaSTies,

I've found (and I'm probably not alone), that RPM dependencies in YaST
packages might cause cyclic/cross dependencies, sometimes even when
building the packages.

In the past, we were solving such issues by moving the YCP/Perl module,
that was needed by two or more YaST RPMs, to yast2.rpm package. However,
this seems to be something that can't last forever ;) The current
yast2.rpm package is already quite big.

I already did something similar for 10.2 but YaST is currently widely
open and plenty of developers are familiar with YaST internal processes
so it's not needed to be a one-man-show ;).

My idea is simple:
* First, check the current dependencies. Can't we just remove them?
* Then, think about moving some shared code/modules to some RPM that is
already requested by those which need to share it.
* Think about splitting yast2.rpm into more packages (several YaST RPMs
don't need all that stuff).
* Splitting yast2-installation into two packages.
* Some debugging tools or scripts would be helpful.

What should we achieve?
* Less dependencies
* No more cyclic issues

Of course, some dependencies need a longer discussion, some don't need
to be expressed at all (for inst-sys, for instance). #yast IRC channel
at Freenode seems to be very-well suitable for such discussion ;)

So, who's interested in it :)? I am, of course :)

Have a nice day
Lukas

--

Lukas Ocilka, YaST Developer (xn--luk-gla45d)
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o., Lihovarska 1060/12, Praha 9, Czech Republic

< Previous Next >