Re: [yast-devel] Handle GUI and text-mode differently - yast ncurses survey
  • From: Ricardo Cruz <rpmcruz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:59:38 +0100
Qua, 2007-10-24 às 11:33 +0200, Katarina Machalkova escreveu:
However, does anyone have any example of some complex GUI feature users often
ask for and really want to have? I might have overlooked that, or I might be
just professionally deformed by maintaining text-mode UI, but I haven't seen
any particular example so far.

The layouting could become a problem as yast-gtk positions labels and
widgets differently.
I am also not a big fun of pressing Next, Next, Next, because every
little Yast screen is so small in scope to cope with the text display
size.
However, I don't use Yast much. The only tool that I seldomly use and
that sucks ass is the disk partitioner. In a graphic interface you could
present a better view of the disk, like the simple chart
Mandrake/Mandriva has been doing from ever:
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_mandrake_10_2

There are probably some issues you should address first. The help
system is insulting. And the morphing of the window to wizards
procedures is confusing. (surely you can't do much about that for the
text interface, but in a windowing system, we could maybe use windows?)
The out-of-nowhere popups need to go, as they steal focus, or at the
very least the taskbar will trick the user to check the window. Dialogs
make sense as a result from user's action, and they should be immediate.

Cheers,
Ricardo