Re: [yast-devel] Handle GUI and text-mode differently - yast ncurses survey
  • From: Druid <marcio.ferreira@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:43:53 -0200
The entire summary of this topic can be found on this page:
http://en.opensuse.org/YaST_Workshop_Prague_2007_Day_1/Handle_graphical_and_text_mode_separately
which is a joint work of Jirka Suchomel, Lukas Ocilka and me.

Hi, all

Good to hear yall dont want to drop the ncurses interface, as I like
and use it quite often. The survey is very neat. Its pretty unique
feature among the linux distros (dpkg-reconfigure really doesnt
count). Its well structured, and its explicit in their options (except
for some obscure advanced buttons heh), opposing to command line
interface (which has the features implicit), people dont know what to
expect of the command, or worse, they dont know the command exist,
while in yast its in a menu, its organized.

I see the survey result is more complete now, heh. I saw it first in
the opensuse wiki rss, so it was really a secret page leaking.

It seems that having a separate treatment to ncurses and qt GUI was
raised to address the concern that it would be hard to keep both with
the same backend, while the Qt would a tendency to get more eye candy,
while the ncurses wouldnt be able to follow. Well, I think separate is
fine, people using the ncurses usually are more linux savvy, and wont
care much about it being a bit more spartan than the real thing.

Posting here,to let the other thread die.

Hi, all

Good to hear yall dont want to drop the ncurses interface, I like the
ncurses interface. Its pretty unique feature among the linux distros
(dpkg-reconfigure really doesnt count). Its well structured, and its
explicit in their options, opposing to command line interface (which
has the features implicit).

The other issue I mentioned is that its easy to tell newbie admins to
do this or that, or even to people that arent that familiar with
linux, but are with tools of other distributions how can they get
their way administering a suse server.

I see the survey result is more complete now, heh. I saw it first in
the opensuse wiki rss, so it was really a secret page leaking almost
as soon as it was posted.

It seems that having a separate treatment to ncurses and qt GUI was
raised to address the concern that it would be hard to keep both with
the same backend, while the Qt would a tendency to get more eye candy,
while the ncurses wouldnt be able to follow. Well, I think separate is
fine, people using the ncurses usually are more linux savvy, and wont
care much about it being a bit more spartan than the real thing.

The other thing that sometimes annoys me using it is that there are
some navigation glitches. Like in sw_single ncurses you need to rpess
esc twice to leave some menus, or you tab and it freezes for half a
second. Im not sure what causes that.