Mailinglist Archive: uyuni-announce (5 mails)

< Previous Next >
[uyuni-announce] Special update for CVE-2020-8028 (bsc#1175884)
Dear lists,

today we released an unscheduled maintenance update for CVE-2020-8028
(bsc#1175884), which is a security vulnerability of SUSE Manager and Uyuni
Servers. The bug has been kept under embargo since it was reported to this day
while we prepared a fix and coordinated the release.

Only users that have shell access to the Uyuni server can exploit this
vulnerability. This is not a common setup, shell access to the server should
usually be restricted to the server administrators.

In order to install this update please make sure you are on the most recent
release (2020.07) and use the following commands on the Uyuni server:

zypper addrepo
https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/systemsmanagement:/Uyuni:/Stable:/Patches/openSUSE_Leap_15.2/systemsmanagement:Uyuni:Stable:Patches.repo
zypper refresh
spacewalk-service stop
zypper update spacewalk-java-lib spacewalk-java spacewalk-java-config
spacewalk-java-postgresql spacewalk-taskomatic spacewalk-admin spacewalk-setup
salt-netapi-client
spacewalk-service start

After services start again, the Salt API endpoint will be authenticated and
encrypted.

As the fix changes the way the Salt API endpoint is served, it is expected
to break any third-party scripts or software that may rely on it. We will take
this occasion to remind you that:

- the Salt API endpoint configured by Uyuni at installation time is
exclusively for internal Uyuni use and by default not exposed to the
network. If your custom software depends on using the Salt API directly,
you are relying on something not supported by Uyuni.
- it is possible to define additional API endpoints, and secure them in a
variety of ways, and those are fine for custom scripts. More information
about how to configure those are available at:
https://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/ref/netapi/all/salt.netapi.rest_tornado.html#module-salt.netapi.rest_tornado

If applying the update is not readily feasible, we recommend to restrict shell
access to the Uyuni Server to the minimum set of users who really need it -
which
is a standard, recommended security practice in any case.

More information is available at:
- https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2020-8028
- https://github.com/uyuni-project/uyuni/pull/2613

--
Julio González Gil
Release Engineer, SUSE Manager and Uyuni