Re: [radeonhd] Separate mailing lists
  • From: Coleman Kane <cokane@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:17:14 -0500
Luc Verhaegen wrote:
On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 04:25:21PM +0100, Jean Delvare wrote:

Hi Luc,

That's fine with me, and I'll trust your judgment. This simply means that
what you want the list to be is different from the kind of list I want
to be subscribed to.

Have you tried lkml? openbios ml?

I'm not saying that the commit messages aren't good. I just say that I do
not have the time to read them.

Then don't. This is the thing with mailinglists, you do not tend to care
about all that is being said there. (unless you're the developer of the
radeonhd driver and you're on the radeonhd ml :p)

I guess that it's a matter of threshold. I am just as "annoyed" by the bugs
as by the commit messages, but as long as the overall volume wasn't too
high, I didn't feel like saying anything. Otherwise people say that I
always complain about everything ;)

How many, unbelievably short, commit messages have been sent to this
list? How easy are they to identify visually, as being part of this list
and as being commit messages? It's so easy to press d and get rid of
them.

What I'm saying is: splitting the lists or not is a different issue from
sending commit messages to a list or not. Scientific fact, there's not
much to argue here ;)

A very simple and undeniable fact here is: the volume simply doesn't
warrant a split, at all.

I don't know how general it is, and I don't really care. My time is
precious (as is yours), so if the list doesn't suit my criteria, I'll
unsubscribe. That's all I said, I don't expect you care (about me).
If you think that this is the way to go for the project, just do it.

This is a shared development/user support mailing list. This is what
happens on such mailing lists.

Again, you're arguing about sending commit messages to a list or not,
while I never objected to doing this. I simply believe that it's more
convenient to have a dedicated list for this, so that people
interested in this, subscribe, and people not interested, do not.

The volume of commits is rather low, the volume of the ml is also not
lkml level.

As a user (not developer) of the radeonhd driver, what I am interested
in is a short summary of the changes when a new version of the driver
is released. I just can't afford reading all the commit messages. By
subscribing to this list, I hoped to see such summaries posted from
times to times. If this isn't how you intend to work (and I fully
respect your choice in the matter, as you're the one doing the actual
work) then I'd better unsubscribe.

As you said, our time is precious. Doing summaries is never correct, as
the next commit might undo things already, and this is also very time
consuming. We are also quite a bit away from a driver release, we just
commit changes to the driver and hope that things start working better
for everybody.

Commit messages tell people what is moving, how it is moving and when it
is moving. They are a crucial part of developing with a community.

I would like to say that I am a FreeBSD developer, as well as a software
engineer (day job) working with numerous open-source projects. I am
subscribed to numerous mailing lists, and I have various rules set up to
filter the messages and route them to the appropriate Inbox sub-folders.
This list is typically one of the lower trafficked lists that I have
seen, and I never have a problem catching up with the emails that
accumulate here. If this were broken up into multiple lists, I would
have more difficulty dealing with the distributed content.

This is especially true for commit messages which may or may not be
followed up by lengthy discussion that is benefited by input from
non-commits subscribers. I really prefer the format as it is now, in a
single list rather than segregating the discussions. You don't tend to
hear much from the people who are happy with the way things are, so I
figured I would donate my 2 cents.

--
Coleman Kane