Re: [radeonhd] No X and Unknown card detected - PowerColor X1950 Pro AGP
  • From: David Morgado <dcrmorgado@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:54:58 +0000
Well, I'm happy to report that with the latest git update I now have my DVI-I 2 port working, the one with that TMSA on LVTMA thing.
Xorg.0.log is attached for your viewing pleasure.

As for that problem I talked earlier about screen fonts appear different, well I'll locked at Xorg.log with the vesa driver and this line got my attention:

With a monitor section in xorg.conf
(**) VESA(0): DPI set to (119, 112)

without a monitor section in xorg.conf
(**) VESA(0): Display dimensions: (340, 270) mm
(**) VESA(0): DPI set to (95, 96)
strage (**) is from config that isn't there since I removed the monitor section because radeonhd suggested it in Xorg.0.log.
Anyway both dpi values in practice lock the same to me on screen.

With radeonhd I get:

(==) RADEONHD(0): DPI set to (100, 100)

It must be indeed what Hans Ulrich Niedermann said, a different display DPI value reported by the radeonhd driver.
By seeing that vesa was getting display dimensions somehow automagicaly, I tried to add for radeonhd that option manually in xorg.conf and it worked pretty well =)

My xorg.conf now locks like this:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Placa Gráfica Genérica"
Driver "radeonhd"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "SyncMaster"
Option "DPMS"
DisplaySize 340 270
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Placa Gráfica Genérica"
Monitor "SyncMaster"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

And Xorg.0.log I have:
(**) RADEONHD(0): Display dimensions: (340, 270) mm
(**) RADEONHD(0): DPI set to (95, 96)

Nice! The fonts now lock much better

Thanks
David Morgado

Egbert Eich escreveu:
David Morgado writes:
> Hi,
> As the subject states X is unable to start.
> > I have this RV570 based card:
> PowerColor X1950 Pro AGP
> > This card has dual DVI connectors and 512MB GDDR3, and a bunch of video > out stuff but that is not important for now.
> > The id is 0x7280:0x148C:0x2223
> Xorg.0.log, conntest results and VBIOS dump fallow attached.
> > I hope I did all this correctly since I don't know what to expect from > rhd_conntest output.

Thank you very much for all the output!
You tried all different combos of monitors/connectors, weren't you
able to get X to start on any of them?
Your problem seems to be releated to using the DVI-I 2 connector
which seems to use the LVTMA:

(--) RADEONHD(0): Attaching Output DAC A to Connector DVI-I CRT1 DFP3
(EE) RADEONHD(0): RHDLVTMAInit: unhandled connector type: 2
(--) RADEONHD(0): Attaching Output DAC B to Connector SVIDEO TV1
(--) RADEONHD(0): Attaching Output TMDS A to Connector DVI-I DFP1 CRT2
(--) RADEONHD(0): Attaching Output DAC B to Connector DVI-I DFP1 CRT2

However TMSA on LVTMA isn't supported ATM. Luc is working on that.
In the mean time connecting the digital input of your monitor to
the other DVI-I connector (or using VGA) should help.