Re: Re[4]: [radeonhd] The X1950 GT Card has not been recognized
  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 14:04:05 +0100

Hi Vsevolod,

Vsevolod Novikov writes:
Hi Egbert,

The monitor connected to the card is "FLATRON 795FT Plus" (CRT connected
through the VGA connector).

I didn't expect that I should provide detail information about the monitor
to the driver, but assumed that the driver will get the information itself,
or will provide some default values. Other drivers work with minimal monitor
section normally.

Here this is different. When we don't see a monitor we don't bother to enable
it.
What surprises me is that load detection doesn't seem work. If this fails we
don't bother any further.

Moreover, I don't think that the driver should fail loading just because it
can't read monitor information through the connector right now. The monitor
might be connected later, or switched off now, we might connect additional
monitor (f.e. presentation projector), and I think that the driver should
process these events as correctly as it can.

Ideally this should be handled by a dynamic hotplug detection.
You don't want to set a mode for an unknown monitor as it should
be validated first.

I can't use DVI connector just because the monitor doesn't have it. VGA
only. Does the driver support for the VGA connector at all?

Yes.