Re: [radeonhd] Dithering, how to disable
  • From: Jean Delvare <jdelvare@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 12:03:50 +0100
Hi Pierre,

Le jeudi 01 novembre 2007, Pierre Ossman a écrit :
It seems that Lenovo doesn't really believe in the concept of truth
in marketing. The panel advertised as 24-bit is actually 18-bit (they
claim 16.7 M colors, not 16.2 M or the actual 262 k). To compensate,
there is some dithering involved, and seems to give an effect most
people describe as "sparkling".

This grainy, or sparkly, appearance is a bit annoying and might be
the reason why I perceive this display as straining. So I'd like to
disable it and see if that makes me a happy camper.

I've been fiddling with the register LVTMA_BIT_DEPTH_CONTROL,
disabling the relevant dither bits there. That does indeed remove
so much of the dithering that you can start seeing the banding
caused by the 18-bit truncation. Unfortunately, the display is
still grainy, so something is still active.

Can't you just set the radeonhd driver to 15-bit or 16-bit depth mode?

--
Jean Delvare
Suse L3